Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Uh oh

Waking to a little nausea and more pain than usual. Oh what to do??? Rain, rain go away.....! I used to love the Fall. I still love the colors and the smells of the falling leaves; it's the wet and cold, and the coming of the frigid winter that doesn't seem to end here in the Northeast that I resent. It lasts too l o n g here! And I just haven't been able to get warm. I think I will light a fire today, and just sit in front of it, curl up under a blankie and wish my Migraine away. Yeah - that will certainly work for me. I want to move to a warmer climate. But that's not really possible. So I will just succumb to my fireplace in my former family room, where it is nice and dark, and where it will be warm. I will light a fire, make myself a cup of tea and curl up on the couch; perhaps with a new book. I just finished reading a rather gruesome book my sister gave me, that I couldn't put down. It's called, "The Doctor's Wife" by Elizabeth Brundage. Very good, I must say, but very sick! Twisted. Check it out. Ok, I got nothin today. Nothing but another migraine. Stink!

1 comment:

Heather said...

More than 28 million Americans — three times more women than men — suffer from Migraine
headaches, a type of headache that's often severe.

I didn't realize that it could be a full on disease though. It sounds incredibly difficult to deal with and I'm sorry that you're going through that.

I remember as a kid my mother and good friend used to get them. My mom didn't get them often, but it was hard to watch because she'd have to be in her room with her lights off. For a mother who did everything - worked, took care of us, cooked, cleaned, carpooled, etc,etc,etc - it didn't make sense to me as a child to see her unable to even get out of bad. I mean I hardly ever saw her IN bed in the first place so to see her in their all day in pain like that was tough.

Although any head pain can be miserable, a migraine headache is often disabling. In some cases, these painful headaches are preceded or accompanied by a sensory warning sign (aura), such as flashes of light, blind spots or tingling in your arm or leg. A migraine headache is also often accompanied by other signs and symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound. Migraine pain can be excruciating and may incapacitate you for hours or even days.

Fortunately, management of migraine headache pain has improved dramatically in the last decade. For MOST people it seems like there is help. If you've seen a doctor in the past and had no success, it's time to make another appointment. Although there's still no cure, medications can help reduce the frequency of migraine headaches and stop the pain once it has started. The right medicines combined with self-help remedies and changes in lifestyle may make a tremendous difference for you.